Sunday, July 17, 2011

Emergency Help!!!!! Orchid Flower started to wilt, why?

Okay, so I recently purchased a Phalaenopsis Orchid from an asian grocery store. One bloom still closed. The grocery store temperature was tepid-cool where the orchids were placed. When I brought it home I placed it in a northern (slightly west facing) facing large window. I transferred it into a larger drainage ceramic planter and used Orchid Soil which is basically bark from the looks of it. I didn't remove the original soil because I feared shocking it from the transfer and the type of soil it was changing over to. The room is above the garage which is very warm in the summer months. The geographic location is humid as well and I allow air-flow circulation in the room. I also kept the blind partially closed to diffuse the light and the leaves have changed from a dark green to a brighter, lighter shade of green. I'm assuming that the blooms are relatively fresh because one wasn't bloomed when I purchased it last week. However when the final bloom opened, the first bloom started to wilt. The soil is moist, watered it once after doing the transfer a few days ago and it drained well so I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. Is the room temperature to warm? Is it the transferring from one pot to another? Is it still too much sunlight? This is a repeat of last time I received an orchid and it's frustrating not knowing what to do with it. When I lived in BC, I had the same type of flower and it stayed in bloom for months. Unfortunately, it died because I flew out of province and the person I left in charge of it didn't care for it properly. So my question is, what in the world am I doing wrong? : (

No comments:

Post a Comment